The mission of Bright Ideas! is to provide safe, energy-efficient light bulbs at no cost to the consumer. This service will allow consumers to save money and help the environment by improving energy efficiency in buildings. Incandescent bulbs use four to five times more electricity than efficient bulbs and only last a fraction of the time. Incandescent bulbs only convert about 10% of the electricity to light, the other 90% of the electric power is wasted as heat. Because of this inefficiency, current legislation bans the sale of incandescent light bulbs, phasing them out totally by 2014.
Bright Ideas! is a company formed by four high school students to make high efficiency light bulbs affordable to the public. Our company provides a business model powered by innovative software and personal customer services to do just that. Consumers receive an energy audit based on their light usage. Our software package uses this data to determine the best combination of LED and ESL replacement bulbs that optimize energy efficiency and cost savings. Our partnership with a local electric company allows us to provide this service at no cost to the consumer. Once a customer switches to our partnering electric company, the consumer receives this service for free. Part of the savings the customer gets from their lower electric bill is passed onto the customer – the remaining is passed on to our company. This allows us to finance the cost of the bulbs through the customers’ savings.
Ultimately Bright Ideas! provides a free efficient light bulb replacement service, saves customers money on their electric bill, reduces the load on the grid and helps the environment.